Safe, pain-free tooth removal in Albury and Wodonga
Here in Albury and Wodonga, as dentists, we want you to keep your teeth for as long as possible. But occasionally, extraction is the best choice. Fortunately, we can usually remove your teeth in the chair at our dental clinic safely, gently and without any pain.
Reasons for tooth extraction
You might need a tooth removed for several reasons, for example, you may have:
- a badly damaged or broken tooth
- crowded teeth (often before orthodontic treatment)
- a badly infected tooth
- severe gum disease
- compounding problems with the wisdom tooth
What is the process of tooth extraction?
- If you’re an anxious patient and would prefer to be sleepy during this procedure, we can provide you with happy gas so that you are deeply relaxed.
- Next, your dentist will inject a small amount of local anaesthetic to thoroughly numb the area, so you don’t feel any pain.
- Your dentist will then use a special tool to loosen the tooth gently, then remove it with forceps.
- Sometimes, if your gum requires cutting, your dentist may apply a stitch to the wound to keep the cut closed.
- That’s it. The procedure will be over in no time, without you feeling a thing.
What do I do after tooth extraction?
- You will need to follow your dentist’s instructions carefully after your tooth extraction procedure. There may be a tiny bit of bleeding, so usually, you will be asked to bite down on a piece of gauze to prevent further bleeding.
- Once the anaesthetic wears off, you may feel some pain, and your dentist may recommend over-the-counter medication or prescribe medication.
- Rest. Do not do any vigourous activity for the next 24 hours.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for 24 hours.
- Be careful when eating. An hour after extraction, you may eat or drink carefully using the other side of your mouth but avoid eating anything too cold or hot. Try not to move food around your mouth.
- For the next 3 to 5 days after the extraction, gently swish a warm saltwater solution around your mouth after eating meals and before bed.
Book An Appointment
Our Preferred Providers
Dr Stephen Jiang
Dr. Stephen Jiang is a highly skilled and experienced dentist with over 20 years of private practice experience. He obtained his dental degree from the University of Adelaide, where he excelled in his studies and received comprehensive training in various dental procedures. He also holds a PhD in medical and dental research.
Prior to establishing SJ Dental, Dr. Jiang worked in the public sector where he provided dental care to the general population. He has a passion for oral health and prevention, and he is committed to educating his patients on how to maintain optimal oral health.
Dr. Jiang has a broad range of expertise in all general dentistry, and he has a keen interest in oral surgery and complex dentistry. He is also experienced in both orthodontics and implant dentistry, and he is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in dental technology and techniques.
Outside of work, Dr. Jiang enjoys playing golf and spending time with his family and grandkids. He believes in maintaining a healthy work-life balance, and he brings that philosophy to his practice by creating a warm and welcoming environment for his patients.
Patients describe Dr. Jiang as a compassionate and skilled dentist who puts their comfort and well-being first. With so many years of clinical experience behind him, he is sure to provide the best care for the entire family. Whether you need routine dental care or more complex treatments, you can trust Dr. Jiang to provide the highest quality dental care while keeping your overall well-being in mind.
Dr John Xu
Patients have always appreciated Dr. Xu's gentle and polite personality, and many have found him to provide excellent service for all aspects of dentistry. Dr. Xu has a keen interest in preventative care, root canal treatment, and Invisalign treatment, and he is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in dental technology and techniques.
Outside of work, Dr. Xu enjoys cooking, and he has worked as a Japanese chef in the past during his university years. He continues to pursue his passion for cooking in his free time. He also enjoys spending time with his young children and family.
Patients describe Dr. Xu as a caring and skilled dentist who puts their comfort and well-being first. With his gentle approach and dedication to excellence, he is sure to provide the best possible care for all of his patients. Whether you need routine dental care or more complex treatments, you can trust Dr. Xu to provide the highest quality dental care while keeping your overall well-being in mind.
Dr Louise Chew
Dr. Chew has a keen interest in preventative dental care, cosmetic procedures, and Invisalign treatment. Patients appreciate her gentle touch and compassionate approach to dentistry, and she is dedicated to providing the highest quality dental care to all of her patients.
Outside of work, Dr. Chew enjoys spending time with her family, and she loves to travel with them. Her passion for exploring new places and cultures has taken her to many different parts of the world, and she brings that same sense of adventure and curiosity to her work as a dentist.
Whether you need routine dental care or more complex treatments, Dr. Chew is committed to providing the best possible care for all of her patients. With her gentle touch, compassionate approach, and dedication to excellence, you can trust Dr. Chew to help you achieve the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve.