Preventative Dentistry Treatments in Albury and WodongaWe want you to keep your teeth! Good dental hygiene and healthy dental habits are imperative if you want to keep your teeth and improve your chances of having a healthier life. That’s why we recommend you have regular preventative dentistry treatments, e.g. dental check-ups – and scale and cleans to keep your teeth healthy. And if you have health insurance, it may not even cost you a thing.
What happens in a dental check-up?
1. Initial ConsultationAfter a discussion about your dental health and lifestyle, your dentist will conduct a comprehensive examination of your neck, face and full mouth (this includes a cancer check throughout all soft tissues in the area). Then the dentist may suggest to have a bite-wing x-ray to get a clearer picture of the status of your mouth depending on needs. You can read more about dental x-rays at the Australian Dental Association.
2. Scale & cleanOften, patients elect to have a scale and clean on the day of the checkup. This involves removing the following:
- Plaque – a soft, sticky substance made up of bacteria that builds up on your teeth. Regular brushing and flossing helps to eliminate plaque, but you can’t get rid of it all without a professional clean.
- Calculus – this is hardened plaque, and cannot be removed by brushing or flossing. Calculus must be professionally removed. Removing plaque and calculus helps prevent gum disease (periodontitis).
- Staining – you may have noticed that over time, your teeth get stained by drinking tea, coffee, red wine or smoking. These stains have to be professionally removed.
3. FluorideAfter your scale and clean, we recommend to have a fluoride (remineralisation) treatment to help protect the enamel of the teeth and prevent cavities forming. Fluoride makes the tooth more resistant to acid attacks from plaque bacteria and sugars. Although fluoride is in our tap water, a fluoride treatment strengthens your teeth further.
Dental Check-Up: CostThe cost of the dental check-up, scale and clean, bitewing x-ray and fluoride costs approximately $200+~$300+. If you have health insurance, you may be entitled to a scale and clean once or twice a year. Please check with your health fund for further details.
How often do I need a dental checkup?Most people should have a dental checkup every six months. However, some people may require more frequent visits. Check with your dentist. Usually, the dental checkup is followed by a scale and clean; however, if you prefer, you can book these appointments separately.
Preventative Dental & Check-up FAQs
What is preventative dentistry?
Preventative dentistry is the practice of caring for your teeth, gums and bite so that you can maintain good oral health. Preventative dentistry involves both ‘at home’ care, such as regular brushing, flossing and adhering to a good diet, and regular ‘in clinic’ professional checkups and scale and cleans.
At SJ Dental, preventative dental also includes our staff taking the time to educate all our patients on how to maintain good oral health throughout your life.
Why is preventative dentistry so important?
What happens if I don’t take care of my teeth?
Do you check for gum (periodontal) disease?
How much does teeth cleaning cost?
What is dental scaling?
How can I practice preventative dental at home?
Book An Appointment
Welcome to SJ Dental! We are here to provide quality care for your general dental needs. Whether you require a checkup and clean or other treatments, our experienced team is ready to assist you.
Contact us today to make an enquiry or to book an appointment.
Our Preferred Providers
Dr Stephen Jiang
Dr. Stephen Jiang is a highly skilled and experienced dentist with over 20 years of private practice experience. He obtained his dental degree from the University of Adelaide, where he excelled in his studies and received comprehensive training in various dental procedures. He also holds a PhD in medical and dental research.
Prior to establishing SJ Dental, Dr. Jiang worked in the public sector where he provided dental care to the general population. He has a passion for oral health and prevention, and he is committed to educating his patients on how to maintain optimal oral health.
Dr. Jiang has a broad range of expertise in all general dentistry, and he has a keen interest in oral surgery and complex dentistry. He is also experienced in both orthodontics and implant dentistry, and he is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in dental technology and techniques.
Outside of work, Dr. Jiang enjoys playing golf and spending time with his family and grandkids. He believes in maintaining a healthy work-life balance, and he brings that philosophy to his practice by creating a warm and welcoming environment for his patients.
Patients describe Dr. Jiang as a compassionate and skilled dentist who puts their comfort and well-being first. With so many years of clinical experience behind him, he is sure to provide the best care for the entire family. Whether you need routine dental care or more complex treatments, you can trust Dr. Jiang to provide the highest quality dental care while keeping your overall well-being in mind.
Dr John Xu
Patients have always appreciated Dr. Xu's gentle and polite personality, and many have found him to provide excellent service for all aspects of dentistry. Dr. Xu has a keen interest in preventative care, root canal treatment, and Invisalign treatment, and he is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in dental technology and techniques.
Outside of work, Dr. Xu enjoys cooking, and he has worked as a Japanese chef in the past during his university years. He continues to pursue his passion for cooking in his free time. He also enjoys spending time with his young children and family.
Patients describe Dr. Xu as a caring and skilled dentist who puts their comfort and well-being first. With his gentle approach and dedication to excellence, he is sure to provide the best possible care for all of his patients. Whether you need routine dental care or more complex treatments, you can trust Dr. Xu to provide the highest quality dental care while keeping your overall well-being in mind.
Dr Louise Chew
Dr. Chew has a keen interest in preventative dental care, cosmetic procedures, and Invisalign treatment. Patients appreciate her gentle touch and compassionate approach to dentistry, and she is dedicated to providing the highest quality dental care to all of her patients.
Outside of work, Dr. Chew enjoys spending time with her family, and she loves to travel with them. Her passion for exploring new places and cultures has taken her to many different parts of the world, and she brings that same sense of adventure and curiosity to her work as a dentist.
Whether you need routine dental care or more complex treatments, Dr. Chew is committed to providing the best possible care for all of her patients. With her gentle touch, compassionate approach, and dedication to excellence, you can trust Dr. Chew to help you achieve the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve.